Friday, December 7, 2012

Fewer and Further Between

My appointments are getting fewer and further apart. Such wonderful news! Radiation went well, as far as we can tell right now. My full-body scan showed thyroid cancer remnants only in my thyroid area, which is really good news. The radiation should take care of this, and I will have another scan in 6 months which will (hopefully) show no cancer left at all.

Another test, called a tumor count (or tumor marker), is pretty high still. The oncologist said they want to see the number be 4 or less...mine was 86. But don't freak out. They knew this number was going to be high, so we're just going to watch for it to drop. That was also just before I took my treatment, but it will be a little while before we can get another accurate count, since the cancer should be dying from the radiation and that doesn't happen all in one day.

It's amazing how much there is to know about this illness. I have so much information that I never thought I would need, and I still don't understand everything. But it has created more compassion in me for others going through such sicknesses. Pills and blood draws, treatments and waiting...it's part of everyday life for so many people. I am thankful that my life has been able to continue with such minor interruptions. I am also thankful that I now have a better understanding of what it's like for so many people around me.

My thyroid dose is being increased, so I will probably have another increase in weight loss (is that a backward way to say it, or did you follow me ok?). This is no big deal, as these levels will have to be monitored and adjusted forever. I am still losing weight on the dose that I'm currently taking, so we'll see what the next round does for me. It's so encouraging to see my numbers go back down to what they were 3+ years ago! I saw my weight charted starting way back before I was carrying Mikey, and the steady rise on paper is alarming. But the recent drop made me do a little happy dance! lol.

Well, I don't have much time today...or deep, emotional thoughts...so I'm ending this for now. I love you all. I am forever thankful for your kindness and prayers. I say it often, but I cannot thank each of you enough. The support I have received from those around me has been incredible. I pray you have a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment