Thursday, January 31, 2019

The Beginning of an Answer

  This week has been a bit overwhelming for my household.  But we have been surrounded by love and prayers, and we've found the courage for each day.
  I wish I could tell you that I've been brave.  That I haven't feared the very worst,  but I cannot.  I've gone from laughter to tears in the blink of an eye.
  This week I had my PET scan.  We had intended to also have 2 CTs, but the insurance wouldn't approve the CTs until the PET had been done.  So we proceeded with the PET yesterday.
  I have to say,  I've learned to appreciate the wonders of medical science.  A PET scan uses cancer's trait of hoarding up sugar. They inject a solution of (basically) radioactive sugar water into your blood stream.  After waiting about an hour,  they scan for that radioactivity.  The spots that show up brightest are the trouble spots.  Isn't it incredible that God has granted some people with such intellect that they could create this way of  finding illnesses?
  Well,  today my doctor contacted me with results from the scan. The good news is that there is no cancer in my bones.  That would have been a bad scenario,  and one I had tried to prepare myself for it. There is cancer in a few lymph nodes in my neck.  There is also a suspicious spot in my chest. She does not believe it's cancer,  but we're going to do both a neck and chest CT to look at both areas and be sure.
  So...I still don't know what we'll do to mange the disease.  But we do know it's the best situation I could hope for. And I'm very,  very thankful.
  Thank you for your prayers.  For the verses and encouragement and offers of help.  I want to give special thanks this week to my dear sister, Kim,  who went with me for my scan (and a great salad after!). Having a friend to talk and laugh with was such a blessing.
  Today,  I celebrate.  In a short while, I'll have more information, and then I'll face another step. But tomorrow has enough worry of it's own. I will not carry it today. I'm still learning that lesson,  you know.  Today I know it,  and I pray I remember it.

No comments:

Post a Comment